Friday, November 6, 2009

My Version of Chip Chicken and My Favorit Salad (a version of it)

Ok, so I love to cook. Even better I LOVE TO EAT, this would be why I am always searching for new recipes to try. This would also be the reason why I have joined Weight Watchers....lol. So now I am committed to finding Healthy Recipes that I can feed my family and maintain and continue my wegith loss.

I "borrowed" this recipe from my cousin Dale. I saw it on her blog and HAD TO TRY IT! I am definatley not dissappointed!

I started with 4 chicken breasts. (Dale used 2, but I have more people to feed..lol) and cut them in to bite size pieces. I then placed the chicken into a "milk bath". While Dale used Buttermilk, I just used the regular 2% milk that was in my fridge..I don't care much for Buttermilk!

I then dredged the Chicken through a bowl full of a crushed bag of Old Dutch BBQ Chips. I have to pause here for a minute and tell a little story that I remembered while I was crushing the bag of the chips. I was standing there pounding away on the chips and rembered as kids that the 4 of us cousins (Dale, Myriah, Melissa and I) would ALWAYS crush the bags of chips that we would buy. For some reason we thought that by crushing the chips we would have more...lol.....ahh the thoughts of a child....lol















I then placed the chicken pieces on a foil covered cookie sheet and into the oven at 425F for 25 min. The only reason that I chose this setting for the oven was becuase both the French Fries that I made for the boys and my Sweet Potatoe Fries needed to be cooked at this temperature for that long. It worked! Everything came out cooked perfectly!
The fries were nice and crispy (thanks to McCain) and my new favorite Sweet Potato Fries were great!




















While the Chicken and the French Fries were in the oven, I made my version of my favorite salad. A local Pub (The Barley Mill) makes this Spinach Salad that has; baby spinach leaves, roasted pecan pieces, red onion slices and feta cheese in it! IT"S TO DIE FOR!!! I have it everytime we go to the pub!














Normally I make it just as it is in the restaurant and use whatever salad dressing I have in the fridge. Tonight though I changed it up a bit. I for some reason grabbed a Baby Spinach Salad KIT, not just baby spinah leaves. So in to the bowl went Baby Spinach leaves and the walnuts and dried cranberries from the kit. I then added the red onion slices and peacn pieces ( I didn't roast them). I also forgot to get Feta Cheese....lol...so I cubed up some Marbled Cheddar Cheese. While I prefer the Feta because it gives a bit of a salty taste to the salad, the cheddar was fine. To compensate for the lack of Feta Cheese, I used Kraft Greek, Feta & Oregano salad dressing. HOWEVER; Hillside Estate Winery makes a Garlic Vinagarette dressing that is sold at the Wine Shop here in town. I think this dressing would be FABULOUS on top of the salad!.

I really enjoyed dinner tonight! I LOVED the Chip Chicken, and even thought about a couple of other flavors of chips (like; Doritos Sweet Chili Heat or the Cool Ranch) that would be great on the chicken. I can never eat enough of the salad, I could eat it everyday!

Thanks Dale for the great inspiration for tonights dinner! It was awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it, we have never been disappointed either! My mom thinks fish and salt and vinegar chips would be a good combo!

    ReplyDelete