Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Creamy Fettucini with Asparagus & Mushrooms

Pasta! Who knew that pasta could taste good, and still be good for points on Weight Watchers? My favorite is a BIG bowl of Spaghetti & Meatballs, with a side ceasar salad and garlic bread....TONNES of garlic bread! (can you see the trend that led me to my round fluffy body type?..lol)

It was Tuesday....I loath Tuesdays....*sigh*....Tuesday means that I am home all day and all night alone....I know, I shouldn't complain but seriously sometimes a Stay-At-Home Mom needs a bit of a break; and on Tuesdays I don't get it. During the day I watch 2 other little boys...the youngest just turned 1 and the other one will be 2 in May. So with my 2 kids...yes that equals 4 boys....all aged 5 and under....well...5 1/2, 2 1/2, 1 1/2 and 1.....ya I needed some carbs tonight..lol.

Tuesday also means that my Hubby goes out and either plays darts or he heads over to his Buddy's house to play Final Fantasy on the computer. He usually goes right from work, with about a 10 min stopover to get the laptop from home. (Thus leaving me home all day and all night...because he never comes home before midnight!).

So since Hubby wasn't going to be home, and he absolutley DETESTS Mushrooms...he also won't eat Asparagus or Whole Wheat Pasta. What a perfect night to make myself a dish that has some of my favorite foods in it. Mushrooms & Asparagus!..lol (yea...I think I need to get Hubby to try these foods again, I love to cook them) The kids aren't to excited about Mushrooms or Asparagus either....they wanted KD...and KD was what they got!.. (I wasn't in the mood to make them anything fancy either..lol....it had been a looooonnnnnggg day!)


This recipe was easy! The longest part was chopping the mushrooms and waiting for the noodles to cook! It smelled wonderful and was great as leftovers for lunch this afternoon! I paired it with a gren salad and creamy cucumber dressing! It's definatley going to go on my make again list (but only on a Tuesday...lol).

Here is the recipe:
Level: Basic
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 20 min
Serves: 4

6 oz whole wheat fettuccini or spaghetti
1 bunch of asparagus trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (I just used the frozen asparagus and left them whole...why not...I was the only one eating..lol)
2 tsp Olive Oil
6 shallots thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
1/4lb shiitake mushrooms, tough stems removed and sliced
1 Tbsp reducde sodium soy-sauce
2 tsp all-purpose flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat free half & half
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
3 Tbsp shaved Parmesan (I'm not a big parmsean fan, and since this is just grated ontop after I omitted it)

1) Cook pasta according to package directions; adding asparagus during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain

2)Meanwhile, heat oil in large non stick skiller over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until shallots are softened, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and soy sauce and cook, stirring occationally, until tender, about 6 minutes.

3)Add flour to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add half-and-half and cook until heated through. Add pasta mixture and thyme and toss to coat.

4)Divide pasta among 4 shallow bowls: sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.

Per serving: 1 1/4 cups
356 Cal, 5g Total Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 3mg Chol, 242mg Sod, 66g Total Carb, 9g Total Sugar, 11g Fib, 17g Prot, 149mg Calc.


PointsPlus per serving: (1 1/4 cups) 9
Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good!! and a nice big portion too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so to, but then when they cook down you don't even notice them!

    ReplyDelete