Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Day Dessert!

Ok...so it all started when I decided to make New Years Day dinner for everyone. I made a Ham and potaotes etc....but I didn't want to have the same old, same old dessert of Pies that we normally have when we have a Holiday Dinner. To be quiet honest, I was Pied out....

So I went searching...and searching...and searching. And when December 30th rolled around and I realized that I still had yet to decide on a dessert I sent my cousin Dale over at A CopyCat Cooks a message asking if she had any ideas. And Yes, Yes she did....

She told me to make Pavlova....and boy and I EVER glad that I did. You can get the recipe here I was quiet excited to make this dessert. I had just run out of Vanilla Extract and had a bottle of Mexican Vanilla with the Vanilla Beans in the bottle that my MIL had brought back for me the last time she as there. It's been unopened on my shelf for about a year. Needless to say when I opened it, I almost fell over. It smelt soooo good. Thanks MIL!
I did two attempts with the Pavlova. Only because the first time I poured the mixture out on the the parchment paper on the cookie sheet. The Second time I spooned it out to make it more pillowy. However, the second time is not without some sort of problem. The second time, I forgot that you are supposed to turn the parchment paper upside down on to the serving dish and take the paper off the top of the Pavlova....ya...I tried to slide it off the parchment paper. Nothing is suppsoed to stick to parchment paper....Pavlova does.




Dale makes her Pavlova with Berries and Whipped Cream. Since I had decided to also make a Trifle, I decided to use the rest of the Strawberries, Bananas, Whipped Cream and then I melted down the last of the Christmas Chocolate and drizzled it overtop....OH MY GOD...it tasted just like a Banana Split! I'm not kidding. You have to try it this way...lol.

It is now my favorite dessert and will be making many returns to my kitchen table.
I also made Trifle. My Mom has been making this dessert since I was a kid. Although it's not the traditional English version where the pound cake is soaked in Sherry, it's an easier version and a favorite at family dinners.

For the trifle you will need:
1 package of Raspberry/Strawberry Jelly Rolls (they usually come in pacakges of 6)
2 packages of instant Banana Pudding
1 medium container of real whipping cream
Strawberries













Start by making the pudding and whipping cream and setting aside. Then start the layering in a large serving bowl. Start by cutting one of the Jelly Rolls and placing it in the bottom of the serving bowl. Cover with pudding. Cover the pudding with the strawberries. Cover strawberries with whipping cream. Repeat layering until the bowl is full, finishing with a top layer of Whipping Cream.





This is sure to be a hit with everyone!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment