Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Roasted Garlic-Beef and Vegetable Stew

So I've weighed in...I was up by .2 of a lb this past week. Time to buckle down and get this scale moving. I have 93 more pounds that need to be shed off before I reach my goal. I have found tonnes of insipration on the Weight Watchers Canada Facebook page. There are women and some men on there that have lost over 100lbs! There is one lady who has lost 143.5lbs! Can you believe it? That's a whole person!!! So inspiring, not only because they are older and are doing this. But because THEY DID IT! If these people can shed the weight this way, so can I!!


I am also super excited to have a Partner in Crime (so to speak) for this journey. I won't mention any names or anything because I am not sure if I can tell anyone else. When I am positive that they will allow me to tell, then I will!!! (sooo excited...lol)

Like I have said before I LOVE COMFORT FOOD! So when I picked up the Weight Watchers Cookbook at my meeting on Saturday and saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. I like stews, my Hubby LOVES stew, and the kids...well they can take it or leave, pretty much typical.

This recipe was pretty easy. I loved the way it made the house smell while roasting the Garlic (yes this was my first time roasting garlic). It was really fast too, it didn't take the hours, and hours of simmering the way the stew was done when Grandma used to make it! And the portion size of only 1 3/4 cups of stew was MORE than enough. I had enough points too that I could have a piece of bread with it!

Please try this one! It's delicous!

Here is the recipe:
Level: Basic
Prep: 20 min
Roast/Cook: 55 min
Serves: 4


2 heads of garlic
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1lb beef bottom round steak, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 onions, chopped
12 baby carrots (orange and yellow).....I just used Orange ones...our supermarket didn't have the yellow ones.
2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
1/2 lb small red potatoes, halved
2 cups reduced sodium beed broth ( I also added some water because by the time it had boild for a few minutes, it had reduced quiet a bit)
3 fresh Thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1 cup frozen green peas
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley



1)Preheat oven to 400F. Wrap garlic in foil and roast until soft and fragrant, 50-60 minutes. Let cool. Squeeze out garlic pulp and reserve.

2)Meanwhile, place flour on sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; coat with flour, shaking off excess. Reserve remaining flour.

3) Spray Dutch Oven with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, sitrring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer beef to plate. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes, broth and thyme, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

4)Return beef and any accumulated juices to Dutch oven. Stir in garlic pulp. Remove 2 Tbsp cooking liquid to small bowl; add reserved flour and whisk until smooth. Add to Dutch oven and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 minute. Add pes and simmer 1 minute longer. Stir in parsley



Per serving: (1 & 3/4 cups)565g

443 Cal, 8g Total Fat, 3g Sat Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 88mg Chol, 447mg Sodium, 55g Total Carb, 15g Total Sugar, 10g Fib, 38g Prot, 134mg Calc.

PointsPlus Value: 11 points serving.


Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment