Monday, November 15, 2010

Baked Teriyiaki Chicken

Being on a budget for groceries, means a lot of time is spent meal planning for my family. I do enjoy it though. I like looking for new recipes to try , and I like taking the time to go and do the shopping by myself. Grocery shopping is my "Me" time, and I love it!
I did the meal planning for this week, last Thursday and found a new wonderful website http://www.allrecipes.com/ You can join this site for free, and it allows you to make a recipe box. From this recipe box you can create a shopping list that is printable. Cuts down on tonnes of time! I loved it because I found 5 easy to make recipes that I had tonnes of stuff for already, (namely the spices..but it still counts)! The recipes I chose I have also made in some sort of way for my family so I knew that they would at least try the dinners when I made them.

Tonights dinner was Baked Teryiaki Chicken. Cole LOVES Teriyiaki Chicken Stir-Fry. So I figured that he would love the chicken (assuming that it turned out right....which it did). This chicken was soooo good! Although, I think I would use bone in chicken next time or at least breast meat next time. I used boneless skinless thighs, and they were a bit on the small side and cooked faster then what the time on the reicpe called for.

The recipe took no time at all to make. The most tedious part was the basting of the chicken every 10 minutes during the cooking process.
The recipe is:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar (I used just plain white vinegar and it turned out just fine)
1 garlic clove minced (I used the garlic in a jar)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
12 skinless chicken thighs
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger & pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently until sauce thickens and bubbles.
2. Pre-heat oven to 425
3. Place chicken in lightly greased 9 x13 pan. Brush chicken with the sauce. Turn over and brush again.

4. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Brush with sauce every 10 minutes during cooking.

It was simple, fast and really, really good! I served with rice, brocooli & carrots and a green salad!
Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. An hour seems like a long time for chicken with no bones.... espicially on 425!! looks good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, I only ended up cooking it for 45 minutes, and had turned the heat down a bit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that the allrecipes.com is my all time fave site too! It has sooo many recipes. Also I have a similar recipe for chicken wings... I will blog it the next time I make it! You may remember having it at my parents when we were younger?!!!

    ReplyDelete