Friday, November 5, 2010

Broiled Lobster & Butternut Squash Fries

I love sweet potatoe fries!
Yup, I do. But I don't regularly buy Sweet Potatoes, I don't EVER buy Butternut Squash. I have purchased Spaghetti Squash and quiet enjoyed it. So when we went to the Fruit Stand to buy Pumpkins for Halloween, and they had Butternut Squash on sale...I thought...why not? I definatley wasn't disappointed.

I have recently started going back to Weight Watchers, and have found myself searching for low point, yummy food. Butternut Squash now falls into that category! For a 1/2 cup I can use a 1/2 a point! I also learned that Squashes can keep up to 2 months! Who knew?

So in my search for a way to cook this sucker, I found many recipes that I wanted to try; but none that my family members would try...except maybe the one in the Kraft Magazine but I didn't have any Ritz Crackers...not to worry though, I will be trying that recipe now that I know I like Butternut Squash. Anyway, the old stand by recipe of making it into fries popped up. So I found myself in the kitchen tonight trying to peel the thing...that was difficult! I peeled it, cut it in half, de-seeded it (which made the whole place smell like Pumpkin!), cut it in to fry looking pieces, sprayed with Olive Oil and sprinkled with salt & pepper. I then cooked it at 425 for 20 minutes (along with the Fish Sticks...more on that). Half-way through I turned the pieces and added more salt & pepper. The fries turned out very yummy! Not a disappointment....well to me anyway...Ethan promptly spit it out and said it was yucky (and he eats sweet potatoe fries), and Cole wouldn't even try them because they were orange...lol.
I also served Broiled Lobster Tails...well to me and Adrian anyway. I don't like to serve shellfish to the kids. I know that they are not allergic to it, because they have had prawns and shrimp before. But I am always cautious. So for the boys I made Fish Sticks....or ..umm....Ahem...Chicken Fingers as they like to believe! MY KIDS LOVE FISH STICKS! Cole will eat 8 pieces! I will call the fish; chicken as long as I have to, to keep them eating it!!! Anyway, the Lobster Tails I just cut down the middle, put butter and lemon pepper seasoning on them, and broiled them at 425 for 15-20 min...mine were a bit frozen so they took a bit longer. But all the same they were delicous!






hmmm...I wlonder what other foods I can call Chicken and get away with it????


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, try butternut squash muffins... they are in my blog (a jamie recipe!!) they are AWESOME cross between a pumpkin and a carrot muffin. plus you do the whole thing in a food processor (super easy)!!!

    ReplyDelete